Since October 2009:
- Early Indian and Central-Asian Buddhism
- Mahāyāna Buddhism
- Buddhist sūtras and treatises in Pāli, Sanskrit, Chinese and Sino-Japanese
- Comparative studies on doctrinal developments in India, China and Japan
- Buddhist manuscripts
- Buddhist mythology
- Introduction of Buddhism to China
- Chinese translations of Buddhist texts
- Formation and development of the Chinese Buddhist Canon
- Chinese Buddhist catalogues and anthologies
- Transmission of the Chinese Buddhist Canon to Japan
- Introduction of Buddhism to Japan
- New religious movements in Asia, particularly in Japan
- 3/ 2006 Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) in Buddhist Studies xxx (suma cum laude), International College for Postgraduate Buddhist Studies, Tokyo, title of the thesis:” Analysis of the Pusa chutai jing” (T12, no. 384)
- 4/2001-3/2006 Doctoral Studies in Buddhism, International College for Postgraduate Buddhist Studies, Tokyo
- 4/2000–3/2001 Postgraduate research in Buddhist Studies, International College for Postgraduate Buddhist Studies (alias ICABS), Tokyo
- 10/1998–3/2000 Sanskrit and Indian studies, University of Zurich
- 10/1994 Master’s Degree in Japanese Buddhism (with distinction:5.75 out of 6), University of Geneva, title of the dissertation:”Le Fushō Zen du Maître Bankei (1622–1693)”
- 10/1987–10/1994 Studies in Japanese (focus on Japanese Buddhism), Greek literature and Western Philosophy, University of Geneva
- 4/2007 onwards Researcher at the Institut für Indologie und Tibetologie, Department für Asienstudien, Ludwig-Maximilians-Univerity, Munich, research project: “Comparative Studies on the Buddhist Canon - Analysis of the Chinese Translation of the Ekottarika-āgama, the Zengyi ahan jing” (financed by the Swiss National Science Foundation)
- 10/2006-11/2006 Guest lecturer for the Antioch Education Abroad program, Buddhist Studies in Kyoto
- 10/2006–3/2007 Guest researcher at the Toyo Bunko (The Oriental Library), Tokyo
- 10/2006–3/2007 Guest researcher at the École française d'Extrême-Orient (EFEO), Tokyo
- 12/2002–12/2006 Guest lecturer (once a year) at the Department of Japanese Studies, University of Zurich
- Buddhist Studies
Current academic research projects
- Comparative Studies on the Buddhist Canon: Analysis of the Chinese Translation of the Ekottarika-āgama, the Zengyi ahan jing
- Research on Buddhasmrti’s (Zhu Fonian) translation corpus
- Buddhasmrti’s Buddhist technical terms (Online dictionary)
- International Association of Buddhist Studies
- Japanese Association of Indian and Buddhist Studies
- European Association of Japanese Studies
October 2009: Fellowship Boursières d’excellence of Geneva University
- “Reopening the Maitreya files - Two almost identical early Maitreya-sūtra translations in the Chinese Canon: Wrong attributions and text-historical entanglements”, Journal of the International Association of Buddhist Studies, 2009 [p. 1–41].
- “Der Garua und die Nāgas: von Feindschaft zur Freundschaft unter buddhistischem Einfluss”, in Festschrift für Dieter Schlingloff, Leipziger Studien zur Kultur und Geschichte Süd- und Zentralasiens, 2009, Leipzig [28 pages].
- The Womb Sūtra (Pusa chutai jing) – Analysis and Translation, [revised doctoral thesis with inclusion of a full annotated translation], Mélanges Chinois et Bouddhiques, Institut Belge des Hautes Études Chinoises, 2009, Bruxelles.
- 2009 “Relics, Relic Worship and Stūpas in the Chinese Translation of the Ekottarika-āgama”, Journal of Indian and Buddhist Studies, vol. 57, no. 3, March 2009, p. 57–63.
- 2008 “A comparative study between the Womb and the Lotus sūtra: Miraculous stūpa apparitions, two simultaneous Buddhas and related extraordinary narrations”, Journal of Indian and Buddhist Studies, p. 78– 84, vol. 56, no. 3, March 2008, Tokyo.
- 2007 “The Vimalakīrtinirdeśa’s Narration on the Amṛta Distribution and its Exploitation by the Pusa chutai jing’s Authors”, Journal of Indian and Buddhist Studies, p. 51–56, vol. 55, no. 3, March 2007, Tokyo.
- 2006: “Synoptic Presentation of the Pusa chu tai jing - PART II (chapters 15 - 38)”, Sengokuyama Journal of Buddhist Studies, vol. III, October 2006, Tokyo, p. 1 – 175.
- Analysis of the Pusa chutai jing (T12, no. 384), Doctoral thesis, International College for Postgraduate Buddhist Studies, March 2006, Tokyo, [451 pages].
- 2005 “Synoptic Presentation of the Pusa chu tai jing - PART I (chapters 1–14)”, Sengokuyama Journal of Buddhist Studies, vol. II, September 2005, Tokyo, p. 1–111.
- 2004 “The Natural Surroundings of the Buddha’s Last Trip: Notes on Environmental Topics in the Mahāparinirvāṇa-sūtra”, Sengokuyama Journal of Buddhist Studies, vol. I, Sept. 2004, Tokyo, p. 1–72.
- 1994 Le Fushō Zen du Maître Bankei (1622 - 1693), Master’s thesis, University of Geneva, October 1994, Geneva.